VistaSite Eye Care
Optometrists located in Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Valley Stream and Manhattan, New York, NY
Diabetes can significantly affect your eye health, causing serious complications that may result in vision loss and even blindness. The experienced optometrists at VistaSite Eye Care in New York City are experts in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of eye care issues arising from diabetes. For expert diabetic eye care, call or schedule your appointment online at the nearest VistaSite Eye Care office in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Valley Stream, or Washington Heights today.
Diabetic Eye Care Q & A
Why is Diabetic Eye Care Important?
If you have diabetes, a condition causing elevated blood sugar, it can have a significant impact on your eye health. Since diabetes causes your blood vessels to be smaller and more fragile than healthy vessels, your eyes may be at significant risk for damage.
Some of the eye conditions diabetes may put you at a higher risk of include:
- Diabetic retinopathy
Close monitoring of symptoms associated with these disorders is very important, as early detection can be the key to preventing long-term vision loss.
What Does Diabetic Eye Care Entail?
If you have diabetes, the team at VistaSite Eye Care recommend you come in for specialized eye exams annually, or more often if needed. These comprehensive eye exams include:
- Dilation: Using a special kind of eye drop, your optometrist dilates your eyes to get a better view of the internal structures. You’ll need to wear glasses for a short time afterward to protect your eyes.
- Digital Retinal Photography: While your eyes are dilated, your optometrist may take a digital image of your retina and other structures. This captures the state of your optical structures on an annual basis to better judge if any changes have occurred from year to year.
Periodic eye exams help the team at VistaSite Eye Care detect any problems with your eyes arising from diabetes as early as possible to ensure the most effective diagnosis and treatment.
What Diabetic Eye Care Can I Do at Home?
There are a number of things you can do on your own to decrease the risk of serious eye problems developing from your diabetes. By taking diabetic eye issues seriously, you’re protecting your vision for the long term.
Things you can do to improve your diabetic eye health include:
- Control your blood sugar well
- Manage your high blood pressure per your practitioner's orders
- Make and keep regular eye exams
- Have your eyes dilated annually
- If you notice any changes in your vision, see your optometrist immediately
- Do not smoke and ask for assistance to quit, if needed
The experienced team at VistaSite Eye Care are happy to assist you in your diabetes management with skilled diabetic eye care. To learn more, call or book an appointment online today.
Macular Degenerationmore info
Comprehensive Eye Examsmore info
Computer Vision Syndromemore info
Myopia Controlmore info
Contact Lensesmore info
Pediatric Eye Caremore info
Diabetic Eye Caremore info
Dry Eyesmore info
Emergency Eye Caremore info
Eye Glassesmore info
Cataract Evaluations and Managementmore info
Keratoconus Evaluations and Treatmentmore info
PRK Surgerymore info
Double Vision Evaluation and Treatmentmore info
Strabismus Evaluation and Managementmore info